Thursday, January 28, 2010

One Man's Annoying/Aggravating/Interesting Access Picture of the Week

Apparently, the best plan that my local Holiday convenience store could come up with to advertise their hot coffee was to place this clunky apparatus in the middle of the access area between their handicapped parking spots. Right smack dab in the way of people who have to use that zone to get in and out of their vehicles and to go in and out of the store. The spot to the left is where I park every time I go there. The people that work there have seen me park and enter the store countless times over six years. Plenty of people in wheelchairs from my building go in and out all the time every day as well. Yet that is still where they decided to put that sign.

As a consequence, I had to pull up real tight to the sign post just to make room for my van's ramp to unfold. If this situation persists I'll be sure to bring it to their attention on another day when it's not as cold out and I'm not on the go. It doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to realize that it's a poor decision to put a sign like that in between two handicapped parking spots, but a lot of people Just Don't Think. Thus, this is a classic example of many people's ignorance towards accessible parking and disability access issues in general. Over the years I've seen all kinds of things block the spots I park in like this, from shopping carts to snow piles to motorcycles to dumpsters to other cars, etc. At least this was an obstacle I could work my way around with relative ease, but it was still quite annoying nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment