Friday, September 4, 2009

Weekend Quotes

I have season tickets for Wisconsin Badger football and I'm blazing a trail for Madison tomorrow for the first game of the season. Kickoff is at 6pm Saturday night which means a plethora of tailgating beforehand to start the season in proper fashion. This is my favorite time of the year, and I often refer to Camp Randall Stadium as "my church." That prime event will be sandwiched by a relaxing weekend at my parent’s cottage on Lake Wissota. That said, the exciting conclusion to my ‘Beware the Rehab Doc’ trilogy will have to wait until next week. But in its stead I offer up few more interesting quotes that I came across recently:

The first quote is via Michael J. Fox: "One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered." I found it very apropos for anyone who lives with a disability.

I also saw this interesting quote by Matthew Reeve (Christopher's son) in a New York Times blog interview. This fall will mark the five year anniversary of Christopher’s unfortunate death and Matthew decided to run the New York City marathon this year to both raise money for spinal cord injury research and to honor his dad’s memory. He was asked why start running now, to which he said: "I’m constantly grateful and appreciative of being able to do the simplest, most basic functions, and the fact that I have good health and can move normally. That’s something I’ve been more aware of and grateful for since the age of 15 than most people. There is a sense of, well, I can and I should." A sense that I can and I should – that’s good stuff, folks.

Happy Labor Day weekend y’all. Go Badgers!

No comments:

Post a Comment